Friday, November 17, 2006



Besides the stage Rogers and Hart wrote for the movies -- most spectacularly in Love Me Tonight, which you can sample here, and which produced this gem

“I've never met you, yet never doubt, dear;
I can't forget you, I've thought you out, dear
I know your profile and I know the way you kiss,
just the things I miss on a night like this
If dreams are made of imagination
I'm not afraid of my own creation
With all my heart, my heart is here for you to take
Why should I quake? I'm not awake
Isn't it romantic?
Music in the night, a dream that can be heard
Isn't it romantic?
Moving shadows write the oldest magic word
I hear the breezes playing in the trees above
while all the world is saying you were meant for love
Isn't it romantic?
merely to be young on such a night as this?
Isn't it romantic?
Every note that's sung is like a lover's kiss
Sweet symbols in the moonlight,
do you mean that I will fall in love per chance?
Isn't it romance?

My face is glowing, I'm energetic
The art of sewing I found poetic
My needle punctuates the rhythm of romance
I don't give a stitch if I don't get rich
A custom tailor who has no custom
is like a sailor, no one will trust 'em
But there is magic in the music of my shears
I shed no tears, lend me your ears
Isn't it romantic?
Soon I will have found some girl that I adore
Isn't it romantic?
While I sit around my love can scrub the floor
She'll kiss me every hour or she'll get the sack
and when I take a shower she can scrub my back
Isn't it romantic?
On a moonlight night she'll cook me onion soup
Kiddies are romantic
and if we don't fight we soon will have a troupe
We'll help the population,
it's a duty that we owe to La Belle France
Isn't it romance?”






And then there was Hallelujah I’m a Bum in which the great Al Jolson relaxed on screen for the first time to intone the lovely --

You are too beautiful
my dear, to be true
and I am a fool for beauty
fooled by a feeling
that because I had found you
I could have bound you to me.
You are too beautiful
for one man alone
one lucky fool to be with
when there are other men
with eyes of their own
to see with.
Love does not stand sharing
not if one cares
have you been comparing
my every kiss with theirs?
If on the other hand
I'm faithful to you
it's not from a sense of duty
you are too beautiful
and I am a fool
for beauty.”







Similar incisive simplicity can be found in this number from Jumbo (1935)

“My romance
doesn't have to have a moon in the sky
My romance
doesn't need a blue lagoon standing by
No month of May
No twinkling stars
No hideaway
No soft guitar

My romance
doesn't need a castle rising in Spain
Nor a dance
to a constantly surprising refrain
Wide awake
I can make my most fantastic dreams come true
My romance
doesn't need a thing but you.”
----

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home