Saturday, July 29, 2006

Blog Contest #6

It's been so long since I've held one of my blog contests that I doubt most of you know what the fuck I'm talking about. Anyway, for fun and with thanks to the people who read this blog, I hereby announce the sixth contest in my ongoing if very sporadic series. Winners will receive one of the hard to find, me-related books on the list below, signed to you by me. The rules are the same ones I've always used: I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100. What is it? The deadline for entries is midnight this coming Thursday, August 3rd, in your time zone. Post your guesses in the comments section below, although it's okay to post them in any of the comments sections between now and the deadline if need be. Make sure you don't guess a number that's already been entered in the contest because in that case it's first come first serve. There'll be four winners. The person who guesses the right number or comes the closest will have his or her pick of the prizes. The second closest will pick a prize among the remaining ones, and so on. I'll announce the winners on Friday. I'll ask the top winner to pick his or her prize and send their mailing address to the usual email address, and then we'll just go down the line of winners until we're done. Understood? If you have any questions about the rules or anything, just ask. Otherwise, if you're interested in snagging one of these items, good luck to you.



#1. JERK (1993): Seeing as how I've been mentioning 'Jerk' here lately due to its current transformation into a French radio play, and because it's o.o.p. and an extra copy just popped up in my search through some boxes in LA, and since it's a prettily designed, quasi-children's style book with lots of illustrations/art by Nayland Blake that is not one of the books of mine that people tend to own, I thought I'd toss it on the prize list. This copy is in near mint condition, as they say.





#2. LITTLE CAESAR MAGAZINE #1 (1976): I think most of you know I used edit a kind of punk rock literary and arts magazine called Little Caesar from the mid-70s to the early 80s. This was the first issue. LC grew into a heavily illustrated little behemoth of magazine over the course of its life, but the first issue was short, very simple, cheaply printed, and mostly contained poetry. So that's a warning. On the positive side, it features a amusingly punk rock manifesto-style introduction by yours truly, and it's very, very scarce.





#3. MY MARK (1982): This is a chapbook featuring the first piece of fiction I ever wrote that wasn't total shit. It's still one of my favorites among my work. 'My Mark' was later revised and included in my first novella 'Safe.' This chapbook was published in an edition of 500 copies by the poet David Trinidad's Sherwood Press. It's very rare. I featured it as a prize in an earlier contest, but I just found another copy in very good condition, and if you want it ...





#4. DISCONTENTS: New Queer Writers (1992): In the early 90s, I edited a 400 page anthology of writers and comix artists loosely associated with the queer zine phenomenon of the time. It featured work by a ton of amazing people (from Alison Bechdel, Dorothy Allison, and Eileen Myles to David Sedaris, Scott Heim, Gary Indiana, and many more.) It went out print within six months and has never been reprinted, although copies still pop up here and there. It's a great book, and one of the projects I'm most proud to have been involved with.

45 Comments:

Blogger Goo-Goo said...

97?

10:35 AM  
Blogger np0804 said...

4

10:45 AM  
Blogger porcelain skull said...

hey dennis,

its 2

you know it is,

alex,x

11:05 AM  
Blogger Gus Trenor said...

69

11:27 AM  
Blogger joe mills said...

99 - first number that came into my head

11:36 AM  
Blogger David Saä Viccenzo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:42 AM  
Blogger David Saä Viccenzo said...

No Lord, you know that our porcelain is in fault,
its 71

you know how is it?

I love you my friend. So, how does the book "userland" go? Tell us.

Why don´t you adopt me? We could found a new bauhaus with candies, junkies screaming out of the recint, children ready to be young men. Peter Pan cried four you and for me, and all humanity devalued...Think it very well, I know some patron.

Love.

My breath and little sorrow, your blonde swam.

-White Oleander-

11:44 AM  
Blogger trecko said...

17

11:46 AM  
Blogger mbuitron said...

My preference is for prime numbers, so I'll go with 17.
Michael

11:56 AM  
Blogger Paul Curran said...

37

12:16 PM  
Blogger momo said...

hello dennis

wanted to thank you for the buffy sainte marie recommendation. "the angel" is so traumaticly uplifting, it made my cry. also the bee-gees "holiday", i think the puppet makes me smile. one of my favourite songs is "to love somebody", i even like the billy corgan cover. anyway, take care.

?... 35

12:32 PM  
Blogger David E. Patton said...

I'll take 53 it was a very good year to give the world me.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Skinny said...

23

thank you Dennis

vin

12:55 PM  
Blogger michael_karo said...

37...thirty-seven...xxxvii

1:05 PM  
Blogger michael u said...

83.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

57 from el paso

3:12 PM  
Blogger BrooklynSerpico said...

77

3:36 PM  
Blogger Dynomoose said...

Would Userlands qualify for this: http://www.lulublookerprize.com/

4:23 PM  
Blogger katsim said...

not got much time.. I've been trying to keep up with the blog when I could! you know my thoughts are with you throughout the visa battles. I booked my flight... sep 18th is the big day. hopefully I won't get turned away.

oh.. and.. 72

4:24 PM  
Blogger dooflow said...

19

4:25 PM  
Blogger florian said...

11?
x
f.

7:04 PM  
Blogger laurabethnoble said...

dear dennis,

i left a comment a few days ago telling you something along the lines that i was here to catch up and say hello. i don't think it ever actually posted though.

and i guess 18, like i will be in september. who knows, maybe my birthday number will win me a birthday present!

yours,
laura beth

7:19 PM  
Blogger Maximum Etc said...

14. Come on, lucky 14.

8:30 PM  
Blogger MATT said...

52

suicide you later skater

8:55 PM  
Blogger abel said...

7.

9:06 PM  
Blogger danny said...

34

11:00 PM  
Blogger paradigm said...

53

it has to be

12:33 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

16

3:56 AM  
Blogger sweetpiss said...

47. please?

6:05 AM  
Blogger angela said...

65, yeah?

7:46 AM  
Blogger Field_Extension said...

It's obvious: 5.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

45

8:22 AM  
Blogger Mikel Motorcycle said...

8 is great

9:46 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

98

12:20 PM  
Blogger clear_n_hold said...

6

1:48 PM  
Blogger mbuitron said...

I'll try again with 89, the highest prime number left. All this talk about incest reminds me of a guy I met years ago outside the Tomkat in east West Hollywood. He was a very cute guy who had just moved to L.A. from Reno and had me pretend to be his younger brother. The scenario was that he had just returned from a date with his girlfriend who got him all horny, but he saved his load for me, his younger brother. The line that made me cum was when he said, "Mom had you so I could fuck you."

3:56 PM  
Blogger disco 3-way said...

66
please

4:16 AM  
Blogger robert-nyc said...

74 for me.

robert

7:13 AM  
Blogger robert-nyc said...

AH, I just saw that landofthebat chose 74, so I'm changing my number to the following: 75.

robert

7:21 AM  
Blogger samuelkidd said...

Okay--I'll take 63.

8:19 AM  
Blogger frankie p said...

i dont know if its too late or not, but 12 unless its taken in which case 10 and if thats taken oh well.

1:15 PM  
Blogger mike said...

33

3:16 PM  
Blogger lost child said...

hello
across clouds sunsets and oceans
all my best wishes for you and your trip back.
heroes you and Yuri
here i am lost so i do not
know about the core of number shoosing
but i give you
my
55
I really like your pic in the book ...
been buzz
buzz and
still one foot in reallity
i am scared
maybe happy
see u

5:44 PM  
Blogger V.B. said...

29

8:27 AM  
Blogger Lux said...

44

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home